Latest news from Simply Accounts & tax
Is your business winter ready?
Disruptions due to the weather can happen anywhere at any time. Taking time to plan and prepare your business can save you time and money when something untoward happens.
There are simple steps all businesses can take to ensure that they are prepared for adverse weather such as:
- signing up for flood warnings;
- installing flood protection systems;
- checking your insurance policy covers weather damage to your property - make sure you have suitable insurance, the Association of British Insurers provides helpful information; Commercial property insurance is particularly relevant;
- having a business continuity plan;
- making copies of your insurance documentation and key contact information; and
- preparing a grab bag with essential items which can be easily accessed should the premises be evacuated. Businesses are also encouraged to be aware that harsh weather conditions could leave staff unable to travel to work and therefore should evaluate the risks and provide solutions to being understaffed during this time. See: [Preparing for emergencies - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)](https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/preparing-for-emergencies/preparing-for-emergencies)